The City of Auburn's Department of Public Works (DPW) will be chipping brush once a week in April, May, September and part of October and every other week (opposite of recycle days) in June, July and August, weather permitting. Typically, this service will be performed on Tuesdays, however exceptions may occur in which case it will be delayed 1-2 days. The DPW may also allocate time to chipping brush in the event of tree damage and broken limbs due to extraordinary weather events.
Brush chipping is a service provided to help clear Auburn City properties of unwanted limbs/debris. Any small debris lying on the ground after pick up is too small and should be properly cleaned up by the homeowner. Any brush left lying in the out lawn for an extended period will be considered a violation of the city's blight ordinance and will be handled as such. This includes leftover debris and failure to adhere to the following guidelines resulting in brush not being picked up.
1. Brush must be set out by 7:30 am on the day of pickup. (DPW drives a set route throughout the City.)
2. Brush piles need to be manageable: Piles should be no more than 4 feet wide by 4 feet high. Piles should be placed in the out lawn (between the sidewalk and the street) in a neat and orderly way, with the cut ends facing the direction of traffic. DPW will not pick up brush piles that are in tangles.
3. Maximum branch diameter is 6 inches and minimum branch length is 3 feet. This is for the safety of our DPW crew as these branches are fed directly into a chipper. Smaller branches, twigs, sticks, etc. should be bundled together and put out for Waste Management yard waste pickup on Wednesdays.
4. Stumps, root balls, or any other large mass of brush will not be accepted.
5. Brush generated by a hired tree service or from the removal of a whole tree should be taken care of by the hired tree service or the resident.
113 E Elm St., Auburn MI 48611 989-662-6761